Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ebook Sales: Is it the story or the package?

My question today is: Does ebooks have the same impact on people as prints?

What's your view on it?

First of all, I'm a print junkie. Something about the feel of a book, the smell of ink and paper, the memories when I handle a book shoots me right back to my youth. Reading books was the connection I had with my mom, my friends -- heck we learned about sex and romance through romance books! We would read horror books by Stephen King, hiding them from our parents and reading them in the middle of the night with a flashlight and a blanket thrown over to further hide our adventure. I soon was reading the Howling, Dune, Bethany's Sin, the Dragon Riders of Pern series, Rose in Winter, Shanna, and the Wolf and the Dove. All these venues taught me so much about life, evil, redemption, and hope. It gave me the courage to be adventrous, to go out and seek out Life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled people are reading more, just wondering if books today are having the same impact as it had for me. Is it the story or the packaging? I am curious to know what readers and authors think about this.

6 comments:

  1. I have also always loved books. I grew up reading romance (prolly before I should have been).

    I got a nook for my birthday two years ago, actually won a kindle in March of this year, and I haven't looked back.

    I LOVE my ereaders and I am almost all e at this point. I'm not saying I will never read a real book, and I love going to signings, and having real books in my hands, but I always buy the ebook to read.

    I can't wait to see my own book out as a "real" book (it comes out April 2013. YAY!) SO I see the draw, too, of course. It makes it more "real"

    But I love not having to leave my house when I need a new read.

    That's my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't purchased a ereader yet, but the appeal of less storage and the instant receiving of a book upload is VERY appealing to me. Thanks for your input. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Oh and congrats on your upcoming release! Where is coming out at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before starting my blog, I would have said no way to ebooks, I love my print books but then I began blogging and saw the how much easier it was. Then I moved to a much smaller house and no space that I have to downsize( this breaks my heart to get rid of my books)but I have no choice.

    I have a Kindle and I have been going nuts with it, getting books I probably wouldn't have gotten or tried if it wasn't for that.

    So I guess my answer is torn, still love my real books but the advantages of an ebook is so much easier(plus I can hide them more from family) who think I spend way too much on books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to compromise recently myself which is the reason for the post. I've kept my favorites, books I'd bought when I was kid, but I'm faced with the reality of needing to purchase a Kindle or Ereader. I like the idea of easily uploading a book, especially whenever I'm stuck at the airport -- hate the selection they have there! It makes me smile that more people are reading more and the new tech age is helping.

      Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  4. I have always loved the feel of a 'real' book. However, after buying an ipad and having the ability to get digital books in seconds via the Kindle App, i have stopped buying so many print books. I work at a library, and do drag home a lot of pretty print books with the intent to read them. However, I'm often more in love with the pretty image on the cover and sometimes when I read the story, it's not as alluring as that cover was. Don't know if that is what you meant by the question, but I do think that packaging, as in the nice alluring cover of a print book, is important for reader appeal and often is what draws a reader in.

    That said, I'm recently cleaning out my library of print books, giving them away or sending to goodwill, due to the sheer volume and size of print books, when I can have 100's of books on my ipad that takes up kilobyte space instead of 3D space on my physical shelves.

    ReplyDelete